Q) A teacher's ability to relate well with students is more important than to give them knowledge.

A)

There is some debate whether giving knowledge to students is more important than relating well with them. Some people might say that a teacher's ability to relate with students is most important because it can give emotional benefits for them. However, in my opinion, giving them knowledge is more important than making a good relationship because of following reasons.

First, learning knowledge is important for student’s future career. In other words, if they did not take a high score to enter a university, their time could be lagged behind others. For example, when I was in a middle school, one of my teachers has a great personality but his teaching was terrible. Even though we had liked him, we were not able to get a high score at a college entrance exam. Make no mistake, I did not mean that he should be blamed. However, if we had learned from a better teacher, we would have taken better scores.

Second, good relationship between a teacher and students can make a biased attitude. That means, if you have a good relationship with a certain student, you could not have an objective perspective. For instance, when I worked as a teaching volunteer in a local university, I have a good relationship with students. However, because of that, I felt hard to be subjective to every student. To be specific, if some students have good relationship with me, I was not able to blame him impartially.

In summary, I believe the first and foremost concerns for the teachers should be a teaching. Not only because it can give a head-start but also because it might lead to a partial attitude to a teacher.