Do you agree or disagree with the following topic? It is better to learn something from co-workers or friends or teachers or supervisors?

There is some debate that whether learning something from co-workers or friends is better than learning from teachers or supervisors. Some people might say that co-workers or friends are better off because they are more familiar with you. However, in my opinion, teachers or supervisors have much more benefits because of the following reasons.

First, they have more experiences than friends or co-workers. In other words, they are able to consider not only the knowledge for learning but also the practical knowhow to implement. For example, as a computer programmer, I learned Java programming from my professor. He taught me not only how to programming but also how to handle several error cases which could happen in the Linux system. If I did not learn from him, I might not be able to learn those knowhow.

Second, friends or co-workers could have wrong or limited information. For instance, my Indian colleague is really smart; however, he sometimes conveys wrong information due to his limited situation. To be specific, when I asked him about the procedure of the trading, he omitted several steps which I had to consider. It leads me to make a huge mistake. Likewise, there are cases that I should only have to learn from teachers or supervisors.

In summary, I believe teachers or supervisors are more likely to give you valuable lessons. Not only they have more knowledge, which could be implemented to a real situation but also others have the possibility to teach you wrong or limited information.